Saturday, November 15, 2008

Some Acts from Sunnah for Discussion

A few issues that I'd like to open for discussion here:

1) Growing the beard

As we know, shaving the beard is haram according to the majority of scholars, including the 4 Imaams. (Refer to the article Shaving the Beard: A Modern Effeminacy by Shaykh Muhammad al-Jibaly.)

There's khilaf (disagreement) among scholars regarding cutting the beard:
  • The beard should be left to grow naturally, without cutting it at all. (I.e. not even a little) As far as I know, this is the view of Imam an-Nawawi & Shaykh Bin Baz. (I'm not sure about Shaykh Uthaymeen and I shall not generalize this view to all the Saudi scholars.)
  • The beard should be left to grow naturally. However, one can trim his beard to make it neat and tidy. This is the view of Imam Malik, Imam al-Shafi'i (if I'm not mistaken), and Imam al-Ghazali.
  • One should cut his beard what exceeds a handful. This is in following the action of Ibn 'Umar radiyAllahu 'anhuma. This is the view of Shyakh al-Albani. The Hanafees view it as wajib.
Discussion points:
  • Does anyone know the view of Imam Ibn Hajar?
  • What if a person cuts less than a handful? What's the ruling? What if it was done to tidy it and make it neat?
  • Imam an-Nawawi views that one shouldn't cut his beard at all. In S'pore, I only see Ustaz Ghouse Khan having a thick and long beard. Where are the Shafi'ees? Hehe.. I don't even see many ustazs following the example of Ibn 'Umar at the very least.. many tend to keep short, short goatees.. Subhanallah..

2) To trim or to shave the moustache?

The Sunnah is to trim the moustache. This is as stated by the Lajnah, as can be read from Fatwa-Online. There's nothing wrong in shaving the moustache.

In a previous entry, I posted a link to an answer in Islam-qa. I quote:

Al-Tabari and al-Qaadi ‘Iyaad favoured the view that both are permissible: shaving and trimming; al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar also inclined towards this view in Fath al-Baari (10/347).

See: al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah (25/320).

Imam an-Nawawi views that the moustache is to be trimmed from the edges, making the upper lip visible. Imam Ibn Hajar views that the moustache should be trimmed excessively. (I think that means very thin. What I've read, the argument is that Ibn 'Umar used to trim his moustache excessively such that it appeared as though he shaved it.)

In an article that I received through email, our brothers in Egypt prefer shaving the moustache. I quote:

The growth of Salafism is visible in dress. In many parts of Cairo women wear the "niqab," a veil which shows at most the eyes rather than the "hijab" scarf that merely covers the hair. The men grow their beards long and often shave off mustaches, a style said to imitate the Prophet Muhammad.

But I've also read that Imam Malik viewed shaving the moustache as bid'ah. Hmm..

Discussion point:
Flexibility and respect for the difference of opinions, that's my stance. So I'd agree with Imam al-Tabari, al-Qaadi 'Iyyaad and Imam Ibn Hajar that both (shaving and trimming the moustache) are permissible. Thus, it's a matter of choice.


3) Placing the Hands in Prayer

As we've understood from the Sunnah (especially from Shaykh al-Albani's book Sifat Salatun-Nabi), the Sunnah is to place the right hand over the back of the left palm, wrist and lower arm. And the hands should be placed upon the chest.

Discussion points:
  • placing the right hand over the left or grasping the wrist? To me, it's a matter of choice. It'd be better to practice the first option sometimes, and to practice the other option at other times, in closer following of the Prophet's actions.
  • ultimately upon the chest (such that the hands are quite close to the throat) or below the breast? I'd prefer below the breast (still upon the chest, as chest is above the level of the elbows).
By doing so, we won't appear too different from the common people. As far as I know, below the breast is practiced by Imam Ibn Khuzaymah (see Sifat Salatun-Nabi), Imam Ahmad and Imam al-Shafi'i. [So I wonder where the opinion of putting the hands just above the navel (covering it a little) and a little to the left comes from...]


4) Moving the Index Finger in Tashahhud

Yes, this is the Sunnah, as explained by Shaykh al-Albani in his book.

Shaykh Muqbil ibn Hadi al-Wadi'ee on the hand, views that the index finger should be pointing straight, without moving it. [Pointing from beginning till end.]

Both opinions are debatable, from what I know. Hence, I'd like to quote from Shaykh 'Abdurrazaq 'Afeefee who said that "While it is better to move (index finger), both are from the Sunnah."

In al-Majmoo', Imam an-Nawawi's view is the same as Shaykh Muqbil's. And it can be said that this view is the stronger view in the Shafi'i madhhab.

Discussion: should we insist on moving the index finger?

If you ask me, I'd see the situation. If I'm on my own or among people familiar with this Sunnah, I'd move my index finger. However, if I'm with the common people, I'd only point it so as not to appear too different from them, as well as to teach them the stronger opinion from the Shafi'i madhhab.

Additional note:
Our brother and dear friend Khairul Anwar related to me that he prayed beside Shaykh 'Ubayd al-Jaabiree hafizahullaah.. the Shaykh is very calm and "relaxed" in his prayer.. the Shaykh wasn't tensed during his standing in prayer (unlike some shadeed brothers who usually get tensed in prayer, placing the hands very high upon the chest)..

The Shaykh placed his hands upon his chest/below his breast (I can't recall exactly what was related to me.. what I recall is about the Shaykh being very "relaxed" during the standing, "relaxed" in placing of his hands upon his chest) and the Shaykh only point his index finger in Tashahhud, without moving it..

So I'd advise our shadeed brothers not to be too rigid in this matter.. especially those who are quick to comment or even denounce others who "seem to differ" from the Sunnah..


5) Isbaal

Brothers usually are aware of this matter, that it is haram from the garment (especially the lower garment) to cover the ankles.

But is it really necessary to shorten the trousers and the robe such that it reaches mid-calf?

I agree with the answer in Islam-qa that what is required to reach mid-calf is the 'izaar (loin cloth). Whereas for the trousers and robe, it's sufficient for it to be above the ankles.

Although to me it's kinda harsh/strict that the answer states that the trousers/robe shoudn't touch the ankles at all.

From my understanding, as long as it doesn't go beyond the ankles and covering them, it is perfectly fine


Wa billaahi at-Tawfeeq,
Wallaahu a'lam

No comments: