Thursday, December 07, 2006

Reflections of an American Muslim about his beard


Dr. Shahid Athar, an American Muslim, in narrating the story of his beard, writes that twenty years ago when he came back to the USA, he was surprised to observe that many non-Muslims, including musicians, hippies, and even intellectual professors, had beards.[100] Therefore, he decided to grow his beard but later shaved it off. when one of his old patients saw him, he said to him:

"Doc! You look naked without your beard."

Dr. Athar writes that he did feel naked. Finally, Dr. Athar decided to grow his beard again as a result of a question which he asked himself: "How do I want to look when I am being laid to rest in the earth."[101]

Dr. Athar writes: "I looked at my former picture and the mirror and the answer was obvious. I am fully clothed now!"[102]

[Taken from the book, "Growing a Beard: In Light of the Qur'an, Sunnah and Modern Science" by Dr. Gohar Mushtaq.]


______________
Footnotes:
[100] Athar, Shahid, M.D. The Story of My Beard. http:www.kuwaitonline.com/islam/story/tsomb.htm

[101] Ibid.

[102] Ibid.

No comments: